Sunday, November 4, 2012

#7. America.

I live in America and odds are, you do too.

Yesterday was my first time taking the Metro by myself, and by myself to the city. But before that, this.

In the morning I attended an open house for the Kogod School of Business at American University. It's my first choice school and I was nervous and excited and intimidated. I'm sure, so sure, that I stuck out pretty significantly with my colors in a room of grey, black, and neutrals and with my slight (sometimes not-so-slight) accent in a room of accents of another variety.

I looked into the full-time MBA program, met current students of the program and recent grads, and met a few of those who may be my classmates. Loved the professors, loved the current students, and most of the prospective students. Three in particular would become my friends fairly quickly. The campus is just a few stops away from where I live and there is a bus service that takes you the extra mile between the metro and campus if you don't feel like walking. I usually feel like walking.

At the end of the official gathering time, I happened to be standing near the director of the Kogod Career Center so I started talking with him in no small part because his name is Jacques Dommage. I love French.

I could see in his face after explaining my academic and professional background that he was confused about why I'd pursue a business degree. I told him about my dream and passion, which seemed to rapidly clear the confusion. He suggested that I look into getting a M.S. of Organizational Development. I didn't like that idea at first because I'm prideful and thought I had my life together and I wanted the prestige of an MBA.

Last night I looked into that program and it sounds magnificent! I would still like to know more about the numbers side of things but maybe some elective classes? The MSOD deals more particularly with team structure in a business model and how to be a change agent, a CATALYST!!! Does that sound familiar to anyone else?!?!

I don't like that the program is not as competitive (only require GRE scores for scholarship reasons) and that the deadlines seem a bit ambiguous. I don't like that it's technically a residential program but we only meet two weekENDS a month. The good news is that it's cheaper and I'll spend less on travel.

Back to the metro: I stepped above ground at the Smithsonian station and couldn't breathe I was so astounded by the immense buildings and the instantaneous clash of history and present. If it weren't so cold and blustery I would've walked around for hours and hours. As it were, Sonia, Lori, and I (friends since 8th grade) met for food and coffee and only got to browse half of the Museum of Natural History before it shut down and outside was frigid.

I love that city.

No comments:

Post a Comment