Sunday, December 9, 2012

#12. The Amazing Race.

The finale of season 21 of The Amazing Race was tonight. My favorite team won. Yay for justice and the good guys winning. Go live on your goat farm, guys.

I've always wanted to travel, to see the world and meet people from different cultures. What better way to do it for free and embrace my competitiveness at the same time. 
Who wants in?
I'm pretty serious about applying for the show if I don't get into an MBA program. Why not? It's not really upsetting my life at this point since it's all topsy-turvy anyhow. And I've been wanting an excuse to refresh my French and learn another random language like Dutch or something. 

I need a viable partner. I have my ideas, but we'll see how God really has written this life out for me. I may have to settle for living the life I actually want to live. Crazy.

You may want to sit down for this next part: I went to a church this morning. I absolutely loved it. The whole deal is only about 2 years old and very small, as in there were less-than-or-equal-to 20 people there (and that's everyone.) The music is real and kind of awful. The teaching is honest, well-thought-out, and concise. The people kind and welcoming. I just met them today and got 4 hugs on the way out the door after spending an hour after service talking with them. They have Thursday night LIFE group (Love In FEllowship) and they serve their community regularly. Lots of young families, if lots can describe such a small group. They meet in an elementary school only a mile away, totally walking distance for me.

Yay. I'm actually excited about this

Ella and I talked for about 20 minutes in the car on Friday (Thursday? I don't remember) about how her lifestyle is not the norm. I explained middle-class, in-the-country, small-town life to her. I introduced her to the idea of climbing trees and chasing chickens and community college and houses with only one bathroom which an entire family shares and is cleaned by the people who live there and dirty it. I introduced her to the idea of not feeling the need to make a lot of money. The idea that for some is contentment and for some complacency and for some fear.

She was honestly curious and bewildered. And she understood. Best conversation to date.

Max and I worked on a 3D puzzle of NYC. He has been there several times, so I asked him to tell me about it. He told me about it for an hour. I love talking with him. So far we've had conversations about NYC, mythical creatures, video games, and cooking.

the Mom and Kids presented me with a thank-you/Hannukah/Christmas card Friday evening before I left. She told me there was cash in it as a gift. I was expecting $50-$100 or so, you know, a semi-reasonable amount. 

No.

I'm so glad I chose to open it later in my car. I found $500 in that heavy card. 

All I could do was laugh.

Saturday morning I had my car re-repaired up to Maryland specs and had $30 left over of that money. Praise the Lord for the Family. Such a blessing.

This was a good weekend. Next weekend I travel home [again...woo (read: boo) driving!] for the annual big-extended-family-everybody Christmas party.

No comments:

Post a Comment